Whether you are a student struggling to fulfill a math or science requirement, or you are embarking on a career change that requires a new skill set, A Mind for Numbers offers the tools you need to get a better grasp of that intimidating material. Engineering professor Barbara Oakley knows firsthand how it feels to struggle with math. She flunked her way through high school math and science courses, before enlisting in the army immediately after graduation. When she saw how her lack of mathematical and technical savvy severely limited her options—both to rise in the military and to explore other careers—she returned to school with a newfound determination to re-tool her brain to master the very subjects that had given her so much trouble throughout her entire life.
In A Mind for Numbers, Dr. Oakley lets us in on the secrets to learning effectively—secrets that even dedicated and successful students wish they’d known earlier. The learning strategies in this book apply not only to math and science, but to any subject in which we struggle. We all have what it takes to excel in areas that don’t seem to come naturally to us at first, and learning them does not have to be as painful as we might think!
- USA: A Mind for Numbers
- UK: A Mind for Numbers
- India: A Mind for Numbers
- Bookdepository (delivery in over 100 countries worldwide)
- Audio version from Audible; Audio CD version
- For the visually impaired, A Mind for Numbers is also available through Bookshare.
For Teachers and Professors
A discounted examination copy of A Mind for Numbers is available to US teachers and professors for course adoption consideration through this link.
Foreign language versions
- Simplified Chinese via Amazon China
- Simplified Chinese via Douban
- Simplified Chinese via JD
- Traditional Chinese
- Czech (to be published by Albatros)
- French: On ne naît pas brillant, on le devient
- German: (K)ein Gespür für Zahlen
- Italian (to be published by Logus Mondi Interattivi http://www.logus.it/)
- Japanese: 直感力を高める 数学脳のつくりかた
- Korean (published by Munhakdongne Publishing Corp)
- Portuguese: Aprendendo a Aprender
- Russian: Думай как математик
- Spanish: Abre Tu Mente a los Numeros
- Thai (published by SE-Education)
- Turkish: Sayısal Zeka
- Ukrainian: Навчитися вчитися. Як запустити свій мозок на повну
- Vietnamese (published by Alpha Books)
- Persian (published by Chatrang)